West Side Historic Districts

01

ARMORY HISTORIC DISTRICT

From the Providence Historic District Commission:

Designated 1989. Expanded 2004. Approximately 509 properties.

“The fortress-like Cranston Street Armory (1907) and adjacent Dexter Parade ground (a large open space formerly used as a military training field) are the focal points of the Armory District, a residential neighborhood located in Providence’s West End. Most of the one- and two-family houses were built on the mid to late 19th century; the district contains examples Greek Revival, Queen Anne and the Second empire styles. The neighborhood is the focus of concerted and successful private-sector preservation efforts by the Providence Revolving Fund and the Armory Revival Company.”


347 BW

BROADWAY HISTORIC DISTRICT

From the Providence Historic District Commission:

Designated 1982. Approximately 164 properties.

“Located in the Federal Hill neighborhood west of downtown, Broadway widened to 80 feet in 1854, making it the broadest street in the city. With its ample lots and easy access to downtown, it quickly bacame one of Providence’s most fashionable addresses. By the end of the 19th century Broadway was line with a procession of large elaborate mansions in a variety of architectural styles (Greek Revival, Second empire, Queen Anne, Colonial Revival and others), erected by Providence’s increasingly wealthy merchants and manufacturers. Many of these buildings have since been divided into apartments or converted to professional and commercial use, but Broadway retains much of its Victorian character.”


NORTH & SOUTH ELMWOOD HISTORIC DISTRICTS

From the Providence Historic District Commission:

North: Designated 1991. Approximately 148 properties. map
South: Designated 1992. Approximately 123 properties. map

“The Elmwood neighborhood, on the West Side of Providence, developed in response to Providence’s booming industrial development in the late 19th century. With easy access to both the factories in the West End and downtown businesses, it was home to artisans, clerks, managers, merchants, industrialists and business people. Its building stock consists primarily of one- and two-family houses set on large lots; commercial development occurred along the main thoroughfares of Elmwood Avenue and Broad Street. Both Elmwood districts contain distinguished examples of varying architectural designs from the late Victorian era.”

Copyright © 2017 Armory Properties.
Theme by Maiden Sites